Monday, October 22, 2007

We Made It Home...Craig's Thoughts

We arrived safely in Vacaville after a long day of travel, even though we left at 9:40 AM from Berlin and arrived in San Francisco at 4:30 PM! But we have been up for 26 hours. Funny how that works. It was a great trip with lots of memories and experiences. Ending in Berlin was fitting for me, because I got to spend some time with my best friend from high school, David Fayram, and his wife Nancy who are teaching high school in Berlin this year. And Berlin is such an amazing city. I found it so moving to see how the city has suffered so much, but is so vibrant and alive. During WWII, 70% of the city was destroyed. While many reminders remain, so much has been rebuilt. Even now, construction continues all around, and and we saw an eclectic but poignant mixture of architecture from the Nazi's, the communists, as well as old original buildings reconstructed and new ultra modern structures. Reminders of how horrible we can be stand side by side with examples of how good we can be. I think I will need a few more days to reflect on what we learned so that it has a chance to really sink in. Check back for some final thoughts from Carol and me, and in a few days I will get some photos uploaded for you viewing pleasure--I will provide a link here in the blog.

No comments: